Waste exists in all processes. Regardless of your business, some or all of the following wastes exist in your organization. The key is to identify them and create a plan to automate and/or eliminate as many of them as possible.
1. Intellect – failure to utilize the time and talents of people.
2. Motion – Unnecessary Travel of people.
3. Processing – Overproducing. Doing more than what is necessary.
4. Inventory – Accumulation of excess finished materials or products.
5. Transportation – Unnecessary movement of parts or paperwork.
6. Re-Work – Any defects or corrections needed to be completed.
7. Overproduction – Producing too much too soon.
8. Waiting – Waiting on work, information, and/or materials